Wednesday 11 September 2013

1913: Pollyanna


Book Name: Pollyanna

Author: E.H. Porter

Genre: Children's

Year Published: 1913

So I actually read Pollyanna back near the end of June, but I kinda forgot to make a post about it til now. I've actually finished another book too since then, so I'll try and post about that one soon as well! Anyway, I really enjoyed reading Pollyanna! It was a lovely, simple book to read and had a happy storyline nearly all the way through, which made a pleasant change from some books I normally read. The story revolves around a little girl called Pollyanna who tries to find something glad in everything that happens, something which resulted in the book and its sequels being referred to as "Glad Books".

During the book, Pollyanna attempts to make other characters join her in playing the "Glad Game" and encourages them to be more optimistic. I found that it did also result in me trying to find more positives in situations that would normally upset or annoy me a bit, which I wasn't expecting. Her character is so sunny and happy about everything I think it's almost impossible for it not to rub off on the reader a little bit! I don't often find characters in books which I particularly relate to or feel the emotions of, and as such I found this book to be very well written and easy to read.

Whilst some of the writing style may be a little too easy for some older readers to enjoy, the overall content of the book is very warm and happy, just perfect for a little pick-me-up or a lighter read between other books. I'd be very surprised if someone else reading it didn't find themselves playing the Glad Game too occasionally, which can't be a bad thing!

Other Books I Considered: Sons and Lovers - D.H. Lawrence; Swann's Way - Marcel Proust

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed reading Pollyanna, such a short and simple book, but lovely content. Perhaps I will get some people I know to play the 'glad game ' would be lovely to watch their reactions.

    ReplyDelete