Friday 21 June 2013

1901: Kim


Book Name: Kim

Author: Rudyard Kipling

Genre: Spy; Picaresque

Year Published: 1901

So despite what I wrote last time, I ended up reading a 1901 novel this time - Kim by Rudyard Kipling. It was indeed difficult to read at times and took me just over a month to read as at times I simply couldn't get into it for more than a few pages (though time constraints didn't help!) Kim started off for me in a very confusing manner as it seems to start of as a kind of religious journey and then suddenly at the end of the first chapter a load of spy language is thrown in and then not mentioned again for a while. However, it was this mishmash of genres that ended up making the book really interesting for me.

The internet tells me that Kim is a spy and picaresque book. The picaresque part is certainly true, but the spy part is more subtle in the book. It is more an underlying theme that you are reminded about from time to time, whilst the main emphasis is on Kim's journey and his growing up. The Indian setting was very interesting to read, but the usage of foreign and archaic words liberally throughout the book made me feel very glad I was using a Kindle with an inbuilt dictionary. However, I don't think the book would have felt quite the same without it as it really adds to his journey due to the way language is used by different characters in the novel.

Overall I only have two complaints about this book. Firstly, the start was very confusing and I didn't really have a clue what was going on in terms of genre and actual storyline till a few chapters in. I am undecided as to whether this a good thing or not. Secondly, it ends quite abruptly. I was fully prepared to keep reading Kim's journey and suddenly the book ended. Certain storylines within the book are left therefore unfinished and you simply have to decide for yourself what might have happened. Interesting for some, maybe, but I found it a bit frustrating. Regardless, I really enjoyed the majority of the story and I would certainly recommend keeping going to anyone else who found it confusing or difficult to read. It is worth the effort!

Books I Read In Between: Monday to Friday Man - Alice Peterson (2011)

2 comments:

  1. I first read Kim for my O level literature about 50 years ago when I found the terminology difficult to understand and I didn't really enjoy reading it. However now that I have been to the Far East, it all falls into place a lot easier. I do agree with Charlotte that the book did end quite abruptly. However I must admit that this time round I did enjoy the book very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet but it is on my list to do so. However I did read a beautiful poem by the author called 'If' perhaps when you have time you will look it up, or maybe you already know the poem.

    ReplyDelete