Saturday 4 May 2013

1996: A Game of Thrones


Book Name: A Game of Thrones

Author: George R.R. Martin

Genre: Fantasy; Political Strategy

Year Published: 1996

When I decided to take this challenge, I had already started reading A Game of Thrones, but I figured I might as well include it in my 100 books as it was going to take me a while to finish it anyway. As it turns out, it took me around 3 months to read it on and off as I found it quite difficult to get into. In fact, I read 3 other books between starting and finishing A Game of Thrones... Despite this, I did quite enjoy it after a while and am planning on reading the rest of the series someday.

It was certainly not the usual kind of fantasy novel that I enjoy. One of my favourite authors is Terry Pratchett and I prefer books with dragons and wizards and suchlike in them. In contrast, A Game of Thrones is much more fantasy in the sense of a made up world as opposed to more unusual fantastical elements. So I guess it was quite interesting to read something quite different to the style I'm used to, which is one of the main reasons I wanted to start this 100 book challenge anyway. Hopefully sometime I'll have time for the rest of the series, but until then, just to say I'm glad I stuck it out with this one & thanks to many of my friends for the recommendation!

Other Books I Considered: The Butterfly Lion - Michael Morpugo; Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk; The Green Mile - Stephen King

No comments:

Post a Comment