Monday 15 May 2017

1981: The Homeward Bounders

Book Name: The Homeward Bounders

Author: Diana Wynne Jones

Genre: Children's, Fantasy

Year Published: 1981




   I decided to pick this book for 1981 mainly because it was by Diana Wynne Jones, who wrote Howl's Moving Castle, which to be fair, I haven't read, but I loved the anime adaptation of it. So, basically I was intrigued about her other stories, and I'm pleased to say I wasn't disappointed.
   The Homeward Bounders has an interesting premise, which is based on the idea of multiple parallel worlds, which one can travel between using the 'Bounds'. The main characters spend the novel in an attempt to return to their home worlds, hence them being called 'Homeward Bounders'. The concept that I found particularly compelling was that everything happening in these different worlds is controlled by 'Them', in a way that is strongly reminiscent of war gaming. I don't want to go into this too much as it may spoil the storyline, but just to say that as a roleplayer and someone who has at least tried War Games, I really loved this aspect of the novel.
   Despite a relatively complex idea and setting, I found the story flowed very well and it was easy to engage with the characters, although at times I did find them a little annoying. I enjoyed exploring the different worlds alongside them and wondering whether they would be able to get home. I do wonder whether I would have gelled with it so well without my experience of war gaming and roleplaying however. Perhaps if someone unfamiliar with these concepts does read it, perhaps they could provide me with their view?
   Overall, it was a well-written story with a great concept and I think I'll definitely have to read some more of Diana Wynne Jones' works. She was definitely a very talented author, if The Homeward Bounders is anything to go by.


Books I Read Inbetween: City of Lies - Alafair Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment