Thursday 28 August 2014

1919: The Moon Pool


Book Name: The Moon Pool

Author: Abraham Merritt

Genre: Fantasy

Year Published: 1919

When I was compiling my book list I tried to create a mix of titles I'd heard of and had therefore wanted to read for some time, as well as choosing some completely random ones so as to discover new authors and perhaps inspire people to read some older, less-known works. I had never heard of Abraham Merritt, but thanks to a quick internet search implying that he might have influenced H.P.Lovecraft I decided to give The Moon Pool a go.

I'm certainly glad I read this book, although it was a bit hard going at times. Merritt has a very descriptive style of writing which can make it feel as though you are reading a constant stream of metaphors and similes, but the story is overall compelling enough that it's not too much trouble. In fact sometimes it can be very interesting to be given such vivid descriptions, given the book's fantasy setting.

The main story of The Moon Pool is about the discovery of an underground race and a kind of monster, referred to as the Dweller or the Shining One, which comes to the Earth's surface and feeds on humans. The build up to the discovery and learning about the race and this 'lost world' scenario was really interesting, but I found that at times the book focused a little too much on the romance between one of the people exploring the underground realm and one of the inhabitants thereof. Without giving too much away hopefully, there is at least a reason for this development in the end, but I suppose I just didn't enjoy the fantasy/romance genre battle that seemed to occur occasionally.

Overall, I can see why this is cited as an influence on Lovecraft, though for me, Merritt's work didn't always flow as well and there's not as much of a horror element for definite. I would recommend it though for anyone who enjoys reading about alternate worlds and races and it's a decent old fantasy title that deserves a little recognition I feel.

Other Books I Considered: A Damsel in Distress - P.G.Wodehouse

Books I Read Inbetween: A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold - George R. R. Martin; When Did You See Her Last - Lemony Snicket; Newt's Emerald - Garth Nix; Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - Tom Stoppard; French Without Tears - Terence Rattigan; Grace Note - Samuel Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment